Virginia Beach, VA asked in Divorce for Virginia

Q: I’m a 64 y/o woman who separated from my husband in December 2015 after 20 yrs of marriage.

Today, my attorney informed me that we have an 8/3 court date, at which time he will ask to withdraw from my case because he’s closing his practice. What am I supposed to do now? $6000 paid in legal fees. I’m broke. I received one Pendante Lite hearing that resulted in low temporary spousal support. The rest on hourly fees for??? Now I’m left without representation at my most vulnerable hour. I’m losing all military spousal benefits and insurance, I may lose my home (marital property) that I used my townhouse to purchase. I spent my life caring for my children, mother with Alzheimer’s, and raising a special needs granddaughter for 16 yrs. I did not work and pay into Social Security/Medicare. I am not eligible for those benefits. I’m month-by-month, one step away from homelessness if I cannot find an attorney to assist me through the remainder of this divorce. Anyone willing to help me? There’s equity in my home. I just need to get through the remainder of this divorce with your help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wayne E. Holcomb
Wayne E. Holcomb
  • Newport News, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Good morning. We are sorry to hear what you are going through. Please give our office a call at 757-656-1000 and Tracy will discuss scheduling an appointment for you to meet with one of our attorneys. Holcomb Law, P.C.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.