Colorado Springs, CO asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Colorado

Q: Wife filed for divorce (CO). wants to kick me out for emotional reasons... but we are civil, and there are no threat

My wife just doesn't want me around. we have 4 kids that need both of us. We have no extra money. I am the sole provider. my job only pays 16/hr. We are on food stamps and other assistance. There is no violence, drugs, adultery, or any risks. We have special needs kids, and in home therapists come in on week days to help. We homeschool all the children and I (Daddy) work from home at at online support job that allows me to work early, be off in the afternoons, & take breaks when I need to take care of the kids. I have a great relationship with the kids, love my wife, don't want a divorce,and the kids need to be back home for therapy so much else. I am bound by the landlords to live in the house. My wife simply wishes I wasn't there. I signed a piece of paper with her to let her take the kids for 2 weeks out of state for a vacation at her parents. they are to return in a week. She is upset that I won't leave. How do I protect the kids & make sure she obeys divorce law and returns?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Once a divorce is filed, the court can determine whether one of you has to leave. The court's primary concern will be the welfare of the children. The court can also enter orders for the return of the children if she does not return with them. You should retain an attorney to make sure your children are protected.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.