Atlanta, GA asked in Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: My grandfather instigated an altercation with me, then proceeded to call 911 and have me arrested for domestic violence.

in the 3rd degree after he threatened to kill me. What would be the best way to get these charges dropped and FILE criminal charges against him for false accusing me as well as the threat against my life. I do not need this stain on my record, have never been arrested beforehand, and have never had issues with the police. Would love any advice you have to give. Thanks in advance!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: I assume this is an Alabama issue. THe police arrested you because they believed there was probable cause that you were the guilty party. Hire a criminal defense attorney and listen to what he or she tells you. DO NOT attempt to defend this yourself. GO see a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.