Warsaw, IN asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Indiana

Q: LL gave us a 30 day notice to vacate. Then 10 days in gave us a 10 day notice. She refuses to take Rent!

Lease states We pay by the 3rd or late fee is added until the 15th. She gave us the 30 day on the 7th and refused to take money on the 12th.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You can only be evicted from your home with an order from the court. The notices to vacate are not legally enforceable. However, not accepting rent payments is more problematic. If the landlord is not accepting rent payments you should document your attempts and create some sort of record to show that you attempted to pay but payment was refused. The next step your landlord will likely take is to file for an eviction either due to lack of payment or some other breach of the lease agreement.

You should consult with a local landlord/tenant attorney as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.