Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Indiana Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Collections, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Indiana on
Q: My roommate is refusing to pay their half of the rent. What can I do to get them to pay? Both our names are on the lease

I moved into an apartment with my girlfriend, both our names are on the lease. She ended up cheating on me and moving out after 2 weeks of living here. She says that she will not pay any rent and so far has refused to. The leasing office informed us on during the signing process on numerous... Read more »

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Oct 18, 2022

It's possible that you have a suit against her for contribution, but just because you can sue someone doesn't mean that you are going to get anything from her. See a local lawyer for advice. This is not a criminal matter.

I hope you can cover the rent on your own.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: I run a small business where i i use free fonts online for designs. While i was downloading a font today the file opened

Saying if using for commercial purposes you must buy license for use while it’s on a free platform and can be downloaded for free, my question is do i actually have to since this is a free font on a free platform or will i still be required to buy the license?

Matthew Morris
Matthew Morris
answered on Apr 16, 2022

The fact that a font is available for free online for some purposes does not mean that you can download and use it for free for other purposes. Fonts are considered to be a type of software. Just like other types of software, the person who programmed it can distribute it with license terms,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for Indiana on
Q: Can I stay after eviction n also appeal I didn't n couldn't make court this landlord throwing me out
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Mar 30, 2022

I'm sorry your question remains open for two weeks on such an urgent matter. This is something that an Indiana landlord-tenant attorney would have insight into. The question was overlooked under Personal Injury and other categories. If you haven't done so already, you could reach out to a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Formation and Business Law for Indiana on
Q: My dad was the sole owner of an llc. He has since passed away. Do we restructure or start a new one?
Michael Ray Smith
Michael Ray Smith
answered on Jan 16, 2022

A single member LLC is dissolved unless, within 90 days of the member's death, the deceased member's personal representative takes action to designate at least one new member. If an attorney was hired to handle the probate estate, talk to that attorney about it, or contact a lawyer... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Landlord - Tenant, Personal Injury and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: having persistent issue of sewers backing up into home for over 5 years in a row, i own the unit , an rent the land
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Nov 7, 2021

I assume you do not want a plumber so you really need to ask a legal question, though it seems apparent you need to have check-valves installed to prevent back-up.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Contracts and Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Q: Can a place of employment make you sign another offer letter after they got the pay rate wrong on the first?

A company I work for is being bought/transitioned to a new company. Employees are being encouraged to transition over as well, with better pay rates. They have sent out employment offer letters to each employee to sign detailing their individualized pay rates. I received my first one and signed it... Read more »

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Oct 7, 2021

This is question of Contract Law. Workers' Compensation deals exclusively with work-related injuries. If you were offered $16.30 per hour and you accepted that rate of pay, the must pay you $16.30 for all hours worked from the date you accepted the offer to the date that they changed their... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Bankruptcy and Landlord - Tenant for Indiana on
Q: My wages are being garnished from me forgetting to take my name off the lease that my ex shared. How can I stop this?

I moved out of my apartment after I broke up with an ex a while ago. He stayed. I forgot to take my name of the lease and he can't keep a job, so now the creditors are coming after me. They've garnished my wages and now I can't afford food or gas. Please, what can I do to fix this?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jul 29, 2021

File a chapter 7 or Chapter 13 to terminate the garnishment.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: 2 months after serve out of parole in Kentucky, Indiana parole office along with two Tell City, Ind. officers.

Kick in my dad's house, handcuff and hold at gun point my little brother and go through all my father's residence, property and garages. My buddy's house is kicked in and searched and my house is doors rammed off the hinges and completely tossed upside down to the point of... Read more »

Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
answered on May 11, 2021

I'd suggest consulting with a civil rights attorney who is familiar with 1983 actions. Keep in mind you have a time limit to put the agencies on notice.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Estate Planning for Indiana on
Q: Can you have a Co-Agent durable power of attorney in Indiana, and is there such a thing as "oral power of attorney"?

My mother is currently in the hospital, and there is the possibility of her dying. My sister and I want to be co-agents on a durable power of attorney.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
answered on Jan 21, 2021

You can definitely be co-agents. If you do that, be sure the POA is clear on whether you have independent authority or must act together.

You would not meet with any success trying to get any third party to honor an "oral" power of attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Construction Law for Indiana on
Q: Can the city decided to cancel the contract and do the demolition themselves.?

I have a contract with the city parks and recreation to tare down 2 horse barns, for the lumber. No cost to the city. I still have to pay my employees. No finish/completion date was set in the contract. Can the park superintendent decide to have city employees take the barns down an cancel the... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Nov 28, 2020

An Indiana attorney could answer best, but you await an answer for four weeks. It could depend on the terms of the contract, particularly if it contained any provisions for cancellation. One option might be to review the contract with an Indiana attorney. COVID-related defenses have been used in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Indiana on
Q: signed up for dance lessons in Jan through May. I paid in advance.they refuse to give me partial refund

Signed up in january- for classes once a week until end of may.

They switched to online classes but since i have hardwood floors and not a lot of space and i was doing tap dance i asked for a refund, they said this was not to be inplace of a dance class. that it was just to keep your body... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 11, 2020

An Indiana attorney could answer best, as consumer issues could involve state law. But as a general matter of contract law, it could depend on how the agreement was written, in terms of how it addressed certain unforeseeable or foreseeable intervening events. These types of situations have... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: Can my husband sue for breach of contract and possible discrimination?

Last year my husband signed a 2 year painting contract with a possible 2 more years of work with a retirement facility. According to my husband in the contract it states if they choose to let him go they need to give him 3 months notice. As of now we can't find the contract, but he believes... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 2, 2020

An Indiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Anyone can bring a lawsuit. But it would be useful to have the contract beforehand. A reputable attorney would want to see the contract to determine if there was a breach, and to also make certain there... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Insurance Bad Faith for Indiana on
Q: Policy coverage dispute question: I cancelled my homeowner's insurance the same day I bought a new policy...

The new company could not insure me until 12:00 a.m., meaning the next day. The acknowledgement of cancellation from the prior company states my policy is cancelled at 12:01 a.m. the day I cancelled which is technically before I cancelled. My mortgage company is requiring proof of insurance for... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 14, 2020

Unfortunately, the use of those figures alone, as a general practice, could leave too much open to interpretation. If possible, it might be best to have them clarify in writing what the last full day of coverage is and what the first full day of coverage is with the respective carriers, rather than... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Indiana on
Q: How do I obtain previously recorded phone calls of myself when I was incarcerated in order to use them in court?

I'm trying to obtain a transcript or audio of these calls and have been informed Indiana law allows me to as they are public record.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jul 5, 2020

In Florida all you have to do is ask in writing.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: Is it legal to use art for commercial use from a minor, if said art was bought as a comission?

We're making a show, and for the show we need art, we have a very talented artist that wants to help us but the problem is they are underage. We're wondering is it possible to use the art from the minor for commercial use if we bought it as a commission? If not, would we have to end up... Read more »

Barbara Berschler
Barbara Berschler
answered on May 17, 2020

When you say "use" the art, what do you mean? You are able to resell a painting, like you could resell a book. However, buying the item does not give you rights in the copyright associated with the work.

Because a minor is involved, you need to tread carefully. Minors are not...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Indiana on
Q: I got married in August of 2018 where I contracted and paid a business to film our wedding day.

Within the contract it stated that our film would be returned to us within 7 weeks following our wedding. It has now been 8 months. By law is the business required to refund my money as they did not meet contracted agreement?

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on May 7, 2020

You need to read the contract. Whatever it states is what you agreed to as "the law." If the contract states that "video shall be provided to customer on or before October 1, 2019. Failure to do so entitles customer to demand a full refund..." or words to that effect, you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Indiana on
Q: Hi! Lease is up March 30th. New rental fell through. What are options if they will not rent monthly?

Tenant is pregnant and due at the same time lease is up. Hoped for apartment fell through. She is actively looking for new rental and very worried. What are her options if they refuse to rent her the apartment monthly until she finds a place? We do not want to take advantage of Them but moving... Read more »

Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson
answered on Apr 8, 2020

You should do everything possible to work out a temporary arrangement with the current landlord. If that is not possible and you are forced to stay in the unit, that is known as "holding over," and the landlord will have to initiate eviction proceedings in order to have you removed.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Contracts, Criminal Law and Business Law for Indiana on
Q: Can I sue someone for buying things in my name and bankrupting my business?

I recently started a company with around $80K of my own money as a 65% partner. The partner of 25% bought things in the company name and my personal name without my approval saying she paid for these only to find out months later they haven't been paid for and they're in my name. I have... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Dec 30, 2019

Yes. You should contact a business litigation attorney to evaluate the situation, including determining whether there are any assets to pursue.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Copyright and Immigration Law for Indiana on
Q: Can i hire a lawyer and give power of attorney to the lawyer to help with the sale of my Car?

I am asking as I am out travelling outside USA for 3 weeks, to get my Visa stamped on my passport, I would need a lawyer to represent me with the Car sale, if I am unable to return to the USA for some reason

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Dec 3, 2019

In general yes. it will always depend on the attorney.

Many attorneys do not want to get directly involved in transactions of this nature as many things could go wrong.

All you are doing is giving a power of attorney to somebody.

can be a lawyer or anybody else.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: Does a non-punitive reduction in sales commission invalidate a non-compete agreement?

Hiring offer included base salary plus sales commission for working at a retail store. After one year I was asked to assume all the same duties for two stores. Employer reduced my total commission at each store because "it gives you a disproportionate amount of total commission". My... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Oct 24, 2019

Without seeing your entire employment contract I would think not; however, both the rate of pay and the amount of commission should be included--and is so, this change has violated the contract. So, if you still want to work there I advise you to object to the lowering of your remuneration and... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.