Michigan City, IN asked in Divorce for Indiana

Q: My ex has decided to not pay and college expenses for our daughter in Indiana.

Daughter is 19. Emancipated at 18 to stop support payments. Agreed to pay, now says he is not. We did not have an agreement drawn up by attorneys for college expenses. Verbal only.

Daughter is a fulltime student.

Since my daughter is emancipated does my ex walk away scot free ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William J Webster
William J Webster
  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Unfortunately if you did not file a Motion for College expenses with the Court prior to her turning 19, then you will not be able to force him to contribute towards college expenses.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me at 317-565-1818.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.