Chicago, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: Hello, I have an immigration question, about reentry if I travel abroad

I am a permenant resident of about 14 years

I was convicted of an assault in the state of Illinois for pointing my finger at a police officer. I told a Sargent that was berating staff at a business I managed to leave. Later that Sargent filed charges claiming apprehension of assault (specifically violation of 720 5/12-1(a) of Illinois compiled statutes). Long story short, after a bench trial I received supervision on the conviction. Addition to this conviction I have two other convictions which were also supervision’s



Driving while suspended

The assault charge is almost 5 years ago

The rest are even older

Because of these convictions, I am worried about traveling abroad and being found inadmissible. Moreover, I haven’t filed for neutralization out of the same concerns. I’m looking for some insight into the matter. My wife’s work is requiring my wife to travel abroad and I would feel more comfortable traveling with her.

Thank you for your assistance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Iskra Panteva
Iskra Panteva
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I would recommend to get the certified disposition of the charges and get an opinion from an experienced immigration attorney. It is hard to advise you on the limited information that we have without knowing the exact section of the law that you were charged under.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.