Centerville, MA asked in Immigration Law for Massachusetts

Q: Can I file a I 130 form in order to give MY FATHER a a green card?

I am about to become U.S. citizen and I would like to file a relative petition for my father who entered legally with VISA in U.S in 1998 and stayed unlawfully present for 1 year until he went back to Brazil. But In 2000 at the airport he was DENIED ENTRY and turned back to Brazil. One year later in 2001 he illegally entered through the Mexico border and lived illegally until 2010 when he left U.S for good. Because of my father's immigration scenario, can I file a I 130 form in order to give him an immigrant visa and then a green card?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Noah Klug
Noah Klug
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Yes, you can still file for him. As an "immediate relative," his past immigration violations are essentially forgiven under the law.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.