Cleveland, OH asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Indiana

Q: divorced in 2014 I gave my x wife the house, I also told her it had to be taken out of my name by 2015 she didn't.

She up an left the house in summer of 2017 she told me keys were on counter that it was mine again. An after 7 months of cleaning she had me thrown off property she lives at another house we both live in Lagrange Co. Indiana. House in question is at 104 cemetery st Wolcottville, Indiana please help thanks jared conley

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William J Webster
William J Webster
  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Jared,

I would need to review your Settlement Agreement / Divorce Decree to provide a better answer to your question. If the the Settlement Agreement awards her the house and she is supposed to refinance and/or execute a quitclaim deed to remove your name, then you could file a contempt and seek assistance from the Court to enforce the Divorce Decree.

If she is not able to refinance, then you could request the Court order the house to be sold.

I hope the above answers your questions, please fee free to contact me at 317-565-1818 if you need further assistance.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.