Charlotte, NC asked in Contracts and Military Law for North Carolina

Q: us army and told my sergeant I'm getting out of the army through pt failure, can I get dishonorable discharge for this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Monterey Park, CA

A: No. You can only get a Dishonorable Discharge if you are found guilty at General Court-Martial and awarded a DD. For PT failure, you'll receive either an Honorable or a General Under Honorable Conditions. Benefits-wise, the difference is that, in most cases, an Honorable lets you use the GIBill, a GEN does not.

Once you are notified of your separation, you should contact either your local Trial Defense Services Office or contact a Military Law attorney (like myself) who can advise you your options and help you craft a statement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.