Kalamazoo, MI asked in Legal Malpractice for Michigan

Q: Is the way I was treated legal

was the victim in a domestic violence n had a knife on me and I do have a felony that is round 15 years old n cause I wouldnt.make a statement regarding what happened I was told by one.of the cops that if I made a.statement he would make the knife charge disappear as if the.knife never existed but if I didnt he would make sure the.charge stuck, I didnt make the.statement for my own.personal reasons n I do have a warrant for my arrest, they also questioned my daughter who was 6 at the time after I told them she would not be allowed to talk to.them. what can be done bout this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You'll need to answer the warrant by arranging to turn yourself in. How you do that depends on how your local court and jail does things. You'll then be able to address - through a lawyer - the circumstances that led to your arrest and charges.

Unless you do this, there is nothing you can do about what appears to be a policing matter. Please be aware that police can and often do make statements and promises that later turn out to be misleading or flat out wrong - that is not (typically) police misconduct.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.