Michigan Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers

Q: need to know about a past legal lawsuit

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Michigan on
Answered on Mar 26, 2019
Brent T. Geers' answer
Contact a medical malpractice attorney. One of the issues, though, will be what your damages were? By the details of your question, it seems that you made a recovery 6 months later, and certainly while in prison, you didn't lose wages or anything of the sort to substantiate damages.

Q: I'm in the process of going to the Supreme Court over damages arising of legal malpractice the amount of my lawsuit I ne

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Michigan on
Answered on Dec 26, 2018
Brent T. Geers' answer
You may be conflating the grievance process with a legal malpractice claim; they are two distinct things with completely different possible outcomes. If you are asking the Supreme Court for superintending control, that implies that you've filed a grievance with the Attorney Grievance Commission, which handles attorney disciple for ethical violations. I assume that you did not agree with that body's response.

A legal malpractice claim is different. It is filed in a circuit court - not...

Q: Is the way I was treated legal

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Michigan on
Answered on Aug 7, 2018
Brent T. Geers' answer
You'll need to answer the warrant by arranging to turn yourself in. How you do that depends on how your local court and jail does things. You'll then be able to address - through a lawyer - the circumstances that led to your arrest and charges.

Unless you do this, there is nothing you can do about what appears to be a policing matter. Please be aware that police can and often do make statements and promises that later turn out to be misleading or flat out wrong - that is not (typically)...

Q: Electrical fire in Apartment Building , Landlord Responsibilities .

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Legal Malpractice and Real Estate Law for Michigan on
Answered on Dec 1, 2017
Kenneth V Zichi's answer
The answer is going to be located in your lease. Without reviewing it in detail it is impossible to say, however, there is likely a section about 'damage or acts of God' or something similar that will define the landlord's and tenant's responsibilities and the impact such damage will have on the lease, if any.

For example, it is common for a lease to say something like 'landlord reserves the right to either repair damage in a reasonable time, and tenant remains responsible for lease...

Q: My mom is in a memory care unit at a nursing home. She fell out of bed on May 4 and I was informed by phone. On May 10

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Legal Malpractice, Medical Malpractice and Nursing Home Abuse for Michigan on
Answered on May 11, 2017
Don L Rosenberg's answer
Depends, was the memory care facility negligent. You clearly need to consult a lawyer to determine if you have a case. Clearly it was wrong not to inform you of the fall. The question is where they negligent which caused or contributed to the fall and/or was did the delay cause more damage to your mother.

Q: My friend pled not guilty to murder at bench jury. Sentenced guilty for life w/ little evidence & no suspects. Appeal?

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Michigan on
Answered on Apr 4, 2017
Brent T. Geers' answer
To appeal or not depends on too many factors to answer convincingly in this forum. I'll address some inconsistencies in your question that hopefully will let you better understand the state of your loved one's case.

I am unsure whether your friend plead guilty or was found guilty at trial. Your question indicates a "bench jury". A trial by judge alone is called a bench trial; a trial with a jury determining guilt or innocence is called a jury trial. At any rate, it appears that some...

Q: Do layers have to be licensed to practice law in Michigan and if so who issues them the secretary of state?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Legal Malpractice for Michigan on
Answered on Aug 3, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Lawyers must be licensed through the Supreme Court of Michigan.

Q: Request for reconsider from the Attorney Grievance Commission

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Michigan on
Answered on Aug 3, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
There are bar grievance committees and in Michigan I believe there is the Attorney Disciplinary Board. You may ask others to reconsider.

Q: Bar rankings for attorneys? How to get them? Complaints?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Michigan on
Answered on Jun 12, 2015
John M DeProspo's answer
You should check with the Attorney Disciplinary Board of your state. I would try their website.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.