Chicago, IL asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota

Q: What form do we fill out to transfer home from joint to single? Husband and wife bought a house, paid it off, divorced.

Wife continued living in home still jointly owned; ex-husband remarried and owns a home in another state. Ex-husband is terminally ill and wants first wife to own joint home outright. He is concerned that current wife would inherit his share of Minnesota home, under Pennsylvania marital property law. What form does husband sign to give his share of Minnesota home to ex-wife? Is it the Severance of Joint Tenancy?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Dunkelgrun
Stefan Dunkelgrun
  • Grand Forks, ND
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: A quit-claim deed or a warranty-deed would be the way to do it

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.