Ebensburg, PA asked in Criminal Law and Elder Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Woman is abusing my 69 year old cousin mentally and financially. Do we have any recourse? Restraining order?

I have a 69 year old cousin who lives alone. My cousin was befriended by a woman in the same apartment complex. Over the course of a year, this woman ‘helped’ my cousin spend $100,000 from an investment account. My cousin gave her money ($5000, twice), paid for food, gas, footed her spending at the local casino and this woman wrote nasty, intimidating notes and texts to my cousin to the point where she is very afraid of this person.

My cousin was told not to tell me what was going on. When I found out, I contacted the local Agency for Aging, who sent a woman out to talk to my cousin and this woman. My cousin submitted a complaint to the complex managers. The gist of the conversations: they were to not have any contact with each other. A few months ago, the woman starting attempting to befriend my cousin again. She has been texting her and asking for money again and my cousin has given her the money saying she is afraid of her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Contact the local police also to report the neighbor's conduct, and have your cousin tell the police that she no longer wants any contact from this neighbor. If the contact persists after the neighbor is so notified, she could face criminal harassment charges. It's worth a try.

Best of luck to your cousin.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.