Anderson, IN asked in Divorce for Indiana

Q: Me an my Ex wife divorced in 2008, we were sued over the house, I paid my share. She has been court ordered to pay r

Remaining balance, but never did and I'm still being called upon to pay her share. Can I be removed from the case

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William J Webster
William J Webster
  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: I would need to know more details about the case to give you a better answer, but I assume you have 2 cases going. The Divorce court ordered her to pay 1/2 the cost, but there is a Civil case where both of you are liable for the house issue.

Unfortunately, you are still responsible for the debt in the Civil case, so you would need to file a motion for contempt in the Divorce case to try and get payment from her to address the Civil case. If she does not have the funds, then you will need to pay the entire balance in the Civil case and seek reimbursement from her in the divorce court.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me at 317-565-1818.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.