Columbus, IN asked in Juvenile Law for Indiana

Q: if I'm 17 are my dad and step mom allowed to touch my personal property and things i have payed for myself

or things my mother has bought for me with her own money

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr.
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Based on your question, I can appreciate your situation being a young adult, but with that said you are considered a minor until you turn 18 and as such you can't own property. The property you speak of belongs to your parents or to those whom you live with. The property purchased by your mother would belong to her but if it is in their home then then can touch it and go through it. Furthermore, when you turn 18 and if you decide to move out and their is a dispute as to who owns the property you speak of without proof of ownership by you or your mother then your father and step-mother may be able to keep it, then you would have to small claims court to get it back but proof of ownership would be the key to getting it back. I hope this answer assists you with your situation.

Alexander Florian Steciuch agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.