Montgomery, AL asked in Communications Law and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Physical custody mother out right refuses myself any communication with my daughter outside of my visitation. Legal?

She refuses any communication by me with my daughter while she is with her.

She refuses to answer any questions I have to her about my daughter.

The mother blocked my number and requires me to send any questions I have via email.

It may be a week or three before I get a response, if any at all. Then no questions pertaining to my daughter are ever answered.

I’m generally met with “you are harassing me”.

When I ask questions such as: Are you going to show up for visitation this weekend? I’d like a confirmation that you are indeed going to show up. As I drive 2 hrs to pick my child up.

When is the last time my daughter has eaten? When did she wake up? When did she go to bed.

She states it’s not specifically written in the order so she doesn’t “have to” answer any questions.

The mother is college educated yet refuses to work and lives 100% off of child support I provide. She doesn’t have stable housing and relys on charity from friends for a place to live.

2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The kinds of questions you posted, she actually doesn't have to answer. It's not great parenting, but she isn't obligated to tell you those things. As long as she actually does show up for the parenting time designated, then she isn't in contempt of the order.

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I'm sorry you are going through this, as I'm sure it is frustrating. As my colleague pointed out, she doesn't have to answer those questions, and as long as she is following the court order she isn't in contempt. You may want to consult with an attorney who can review the facts of your case and present you with any options you may have. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.