Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law and Child Support for Arizona

Q: Do I need a lawyer if I were to represent myself in the court to file against my ex-spouse who's late on child support ?

My ex is always late in picking up our kids and the kids say he may be using drugs and not using a car seat to transport our young 3yr old, I want to fight for full custody in addition to collect my late child support

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You can represent yourself to enforce a child support order. The Maricopa County Superior Court has a good set of forms that are designed to be used by people without an attorney. They include detailed instructions. However, if you are planning to seek full custody, I strongly recommend hiring an attorney to assist you. Child custody/parenting time matters are more complicated and more important. An attorney's help can make a big difference in results.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.