New York, NY asked in Medical Malpractice for Arkansas

Q: Can I take a physician to court for not providing proper pain relief after major spine surgery?

After the surgery while still in the hospital. The surgeon APRN came in for a visit. I told her I'm in horrible pain and that the 2 7.5 mg hydrocodone every 4 hours isn't helping. I've been on 4 10mg hydrocodone for 10 plus years. Nothing was done until I called the doctor's office and explained that to them. Now I'm released and I'm still not getting any help and I'm taking the same prescription as I was before the surgery. I tried to talk with my surgeon, but it's like the nurses block me from doing so

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Darren O'Quinn
Michael Darren O'Quinn
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If you are in Arkansas, this would be a difficult case but a patient in pain should have adequate pain relief. I would need to know about your prior prescription history (Donets seem reasonable to prescribe less pain meds immediately after surgery than the patient was on without surgery (maybe later if the surgery is a success, but not immediately afterwards during acute recovery. With that said, proving damages (the money value of how much the extra pain harmed you as determined by a jury) would probably make this case uneconomical for an attorney to pursue. You might file a complaint with the Arkansas State Medical Board if it is here and they will investigate (including having the doctor explain). The instructions on on the zboards website. Best of luck, Darren.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.