Longview, WA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Washington

Q: What forms do I need to fill out and what process do I need to go through to gain guardianship of my 10 year old son?

I have had my son here with me since June 16th. He was only supposed to be with me until July 5th but his mom asked me to keep him longer as their home situation has changed and she had no where for them to live. She is currently homeless and staying with family. At this time it is getting closer to the school year and I am wanting to enroll my son in school bit can not as I am not his legal guardian. I need to know what steps I need to take to gain that.

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Washington

A: If this is your son, you need a custody order. If there is already a custody order in a custody or divorce decree, then you should file a petition to modify the custody order. Usually, that has to be done in the same court that entered the custody order. If there is no prior custody order, then you should file a petition to establish custody in the county court where the child has resided for the past six months.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.