Booneville, MS asked in Adoption and Family Law for Alabama

Q: can we adopt my grandson without mom’s consent.

She voluntarily gave her rights to us almost 2 years ago. Father is deceased. Before this we had temporary custody for a year. Now she wants to be mom. She is allowed to see him 4 hours a week. She never makes the effort to come. We have to take him. Now she’s threatening us for her rights back.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: In a word, no -- unless her parental rights were terminated by an order of the Juvenile Court. In all likelyhood, she gave custody to you. She can go to the appropriate Court and ask for custody of the child

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.