Ripley, MS asked in Family Law and Adoption for Mississippi

Q: My husband's ex has been out of our children's lives for 3 years. She calls every 2 to 3 months and I want to adopt

Our children refer to her as "strange lady". She has been on method this entire time but shows back up every 6 months to a year and swears she has found God and is doing better. She only calls every 2 to 5 months to ask to see them but my husband won't let her because of her drug use. She lost custody because she left our son alone in the hospital after stealing her blood from the ambulance and running away because she had been drinking aND doing drugs. She has supervised visitation which my husband don't even allow because of her drug use. We go to church every Sunday with our kids and we have a great home life. I want to adopt them and he wants me to but we don't know how to take her rights. Please help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Madison, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You need to get with an attorney, as you will have to go through the process of terminating her parental rights before you can go through the adoption process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.