Tucson, AZ asked in Family Law and Child Support for Arizona

Q: Ex may have overpaid child support by $11984. Do I have to pay him back? If so, all at once? Or is that now "credit"?

Also, I read something about court being able to take into account his "earning potential"... based on his education and experience, he should/could still be in financial management with a good salary, 401k, health insurance, etc. etc. Now don’t have any of that, and he’s looking to modify because he says he’s broke. But truth is he's a deadbeat and doesn't care and isn't motivated to get the kind of job he had when we married and decided to have kids. Any recourse here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randi Sirlin
Randi Sirlin
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: The answer to your questions is, "it depends."

Regarding an overpayment in child support, if you ever received services such as AHCCCS, food stamps or the like, the State may not require you to pay that back.

While I can't tell you whether you will have to pay it back, I can let you know that, in 23.5 years of practice, I have yet to have someone have to pay back child support. However, that is only in my experience.

I sugguest you contact someone at the child support division to get a better answer to your question.

Regarding your second question, it is another, "it depends," as I do not have all of the facts regarding your ex. However, you can certainly ask the Court to attribute to your ex the income he has historically made.

Nothing in this response is intended to be legal advise.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.