Washington, DC asked in Probate for Alabama

Q: my mother died in the state of Alabama there is no will and I live in another state what do I do

there is me the oldest and my sister

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jack T. Carney
Jack T. Carney
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Oftentimes the first step in determining what to do next after a loved one passes away is to look at any assets that may be in that person's name. If you are unable to access any assets, then you would need to speak with an attorney about a probate administration or a probate alternative. The purpose of a probate is to transfer assets from the name of the decedent to the appropriate heirs. A good first step is to make a list of all assets in your mother's name and determine how each is titled. This list would be most helpful if you need to speak with an attorney.

If there are no assets in her name or the assets passed as a matter of law to another person, then it may be that you do not have to take any legal steps regarding her estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.