Columbus, OH asked in Car Accidents and Real Estate Law for Indiana

Q: Can I be sued for being uninsured I had an accident on private property I hit something & a vehicle also uninsured?

I put my truck in reverse the throttle stuck open I was unable to stop. I hit a carport style garage in a trailer park; I also hit the truck inside both uninsured. Along with their neighbor's vehicle that was insured. I was driving my boyfriend's vehicle , also uninsured. We all live in a trailer park. The trailer park is giving me 5 days to move out because my name is not on the lease we have lived here since 2015 and I need some serious legal advice.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ary Avnet
Ary Avnet
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Noblesville, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You can be sued for negligence for the accidents you caused in the truck. If sued, you could assert as a defense that the throttle was stuck open causing the accident but ultimately it would be up to a judge or jury to decide if you were negligent. If there was no valid insurance policy on the vehicle you were driving, and you did not carry any liability insurance at the time, then you would be personally responsible for any judgment found against you.

The eviction is a separate (contractual) matter and you should have a lawyer look over you lease agreement to determine if any eviction is proper.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.