Owensboro, KY asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Civil Litigation for Kentucky

Q: How long do you have to file a lawsuit against the other driver in a car accident?

1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Michael Russell
Adam Michael Russell
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Covington, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: The answer is more complicated than it may seem. If you accident is in KY, and you have not rejected the provisions of Kentucky's Motor Vehicle Reparations Act ("MVRA"), then you usually have two years from the crash or two years from the date of the last PIP payment under the MVRA. There are many exceptions. For example, a spouse's claim for loss of consortium is not extended by the MVRA and must be filed within one year. Also, a PIP payment that is a "replacement" payment does not extend the statute. Speak with an attorney about the specific facts of your case and do not wait! The sooner you engage an attorney the sooner he or she can begin building your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.