Dallas, TX asked in Uncategorized for Texas

Q: How can i get justice for my father. He died in 2004 from a tragic boating accident , but he was murdered

all the officials labeled his death as a" tragic boating accident " but he was run over and chopped up by his baja boat. His girlfriend played a victim the whole time acting like she was injured to keep all eyes on her while my dad was already dead . It took us 3 days to find what was left of him , by that time no blood could of been tested to rule out foul play. My siblings and I hired investigators but Harris county told them it was a closed case.. that was 14 years ago. there is so much that can be used against her in court now. I really need to know what to do and where to start to get justice for my father! can this be considered wrongful death?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Tammy L. Wincott
Tammy L. Wincott
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I'm very sorry for your loss.

A case may be re-opened if there is new evidence. There are a lot of other factors as well. You may want to speak with a prosecutor in the area.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I’m sorry for your loss. I do not practice in Texas, but as a starting point in such a matter, you could present your new evidence to the prosecutor’s office in the county where the matter arose (it looks like Harris County from your description). Investigating a fourteen-year-old boating accident could present challenges to forensic examiners, hinging on the availability/transiency of physical evidence in connection with the boat’s hull, propeller(s), gear, clothes, as well as transcripts or records of communications with Coast Guard/police/water constable, emergency medical responders, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.