Troy, MI asked in Immigration Law for Michigan

Q: F2 (Wife's F1) to H4 (My H1) Change of status for kids!

My wife was on F1 OPT and my kids were on F2 status with her.

I joined them on H1 and filed COS for the kids and got the receipt. Wife's F1 has expired and had to leave to Canada for Employment.

Kids are with me now and status of COS shows "Open - Application Filed with USCIS - Awaiting Adjudication"


Filed change of status on May 22nd 2018 for kids.

August 5th Wife left for canada and her F1 expired on Aug 6th 2018

Now that she has left the country and her F1 no longer valid, can the kids stay with me as the COS has been filed before her F1 expired?

Also,My wife would be visiting us occasionally over weekends and Holidays. What would be the best Visa(H4 or B2) category for her to visit us often (multiple entries to USA from Canada) ?

Thanks in Anticipation!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Your kids’ COS applications are independent from their mother’s. Kids can remain in US. The best visa for her would be the B2.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.