Berrien Springs, MI asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: I was stopped because of move over violation. Did not get the ticket. Will he charge me because it is misdemeanor

Officer said that I probably did not know why he stopped me, but in Michigan it is a serious offence, a misdemeanor, if I do not change the lane or slow down when police car is on the side of the road. I said that I am sorry and I rally did not know about that law. He did not give me any ticket but he asked for my driver license and wrote down my name in his notebook. I was wondering if he might press the charges since this is a misdemeanor, even if he did not give me any ticket. I forgot to ask him about that. Thanks.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jasmine D. Rippy
Jasmine D. Rippy
  • Detroit, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Failure to yield to an emergency vehicle is a misdemeanor in Michigan punishable by a fine of up to $500.00 and/or imprisonment for up to 90 days. If the officer didn’t give you a ticket, then you got a break.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.