Woodstock, IL asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Illinois

Q: even though I don't want to do this, how would I go about giving up my rights and not have to pay child support.

My sons last name was changed in July of last yr. I told the judge only way I would allow it is if his step father adopted my son and asked if I could give up rights n paying child support n the judge just granted name change. I never wanted out of my sons life and was willing to work with them but at ropes end. I don't get to see my son and have asked the mother on occasions but she starts arguments n her husband always seems to get involved. She also thinks she has to be around all time when I get to see my son. We went to mediation she didn't not show up a couple times one was she sick n other was that she couldn't find a baby sitter. I've also been to parenting classes and everything I need to do or ordered by court.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You can't force her husband to adopt.

So, you are stuck.

But, you can assert your rights to be more involved with your child.

If you stay with it, you will get a court hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.