Brownsburg, IN asked in Tax Law and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: Are we required to pay intangible tax on a property we are transferring into a revocable trust via a quit claim deed?

The revocable trust is in my and my spouse's name which the current deed is in our name also. We do carry a mortgage on the property and was told by county clerk that we may have to pay the tax when we file the quit claim deed. But have also heard that me may not have to. Not sure I want to pay the almost $1,000 tax just to transfer the deed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alvaro Augusto Acevedo
Alvaro Augusto Acevedo
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You will have to pay documentary stamp tax on the Mortgage and the transfer to the state of Florida.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.