Schoharie, NY asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for New York

Q: How do I drop a 1 year permanent restraining order? What are the chances the judge will drop or modify this order?

I filed a restraining order on my fiance a couple of months ago after a heated break-up. I have never been to court before and was unsure what the proper steps were, so I ended up agreeing to 1 yr permanent restraining order. I waived my rights to counsel, which im now realizing, was a mistake. This was my first time in court. I was emotional and confused when I agreed to this. I would like to file a motion to drop/modify the restraining order because we share bills together and other financials which need to be figured out. He has not violated this order and I no longer am worried about his actions.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Mironenko
Nina Mironenko
  • Huntington, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you received the OP (order of protection) in District Court contact the assistant district attorney.

If you received it in Family Court then contact the court and ask how to file a petition to have it dismissed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.