Kissimmee, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Florida

Q: My son father verbally told me he will keep my son from me (never married) can he do so??

We recently had a DV case in the police report it says that he threatened to keep the Baby. I hear some police office will not return the Baby with the mother if they feel the child

Is ok? What can I do if that happens??

Never been to court.

1 Lawyer Answer
Deborah Annette Carroll
Deborah Annette Carroll
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lakeland, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can file a motion to establish paternity, custody, time sharing and child support. In that petition, you will need to request that the child resides primarily with you the majority of the time. Some police officers will not return a child without a court order. Once you get an order from the judge, it will determine where the child is to be, with what parent, and at what time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.