Cleveland, OH asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for Michigan

Q: What can I sue someone for as the victim of an assault and battery and larceny from a car?

Criminal charges are being persued, the 'suspect' has been arrested and arraigned. He punched me in the face twice, knocking my front tooth out. He was the passenger in my car I was DRIVING, so i parked and demanded he get out. He refused, so i got out. Whwn he hit me he knocked off my glasses, and i was injured and in a panic so i left my keys and wallet admist the trauma. Records at a gas station show my credit cards being used, cards cancelled and fraud dept called. This is my POS brother in law, who was very intoxicated, and i was taking him to taco bell. He got mad i wouldnt go through the line again for him to lie about his food, and when he tried to light my last cigarette i went to take it from him and thats when he hit me. I never physically touched him nefore or after, nor was there an argument. He just went drug crazy. He has priors, Intent to do bodily harm less then murder as well as drug charges. What can I civilly sue for? Can they garnish his wages in the future?

1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Hilf
Daniel Hilf
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Troy, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You were the victim of an intentional tort (assault and battery) and can pursue a civil lawsuit against him. The lawsuit can be filed as a small claims matter (where you represent yourself in court), however your recovery will be limited. You, or a lawyer retained to represent you, can file a civil lawsuit to pursue this matter against him. A lawyer might be willing to represent you with an hourly fee agreement. A lawyer might be willing to handle the case on a contingency fee (the lawyer gets a percentage of the fee if you obtain a judgment). The lawyer will make a determination if your brother in law is collectable as part of a determination of whether or not a contingency fee agreement is acceptable. You should search for a lawyer in the areas of personal injury and civil litigation. If you get a judgment, it may be possible to garnish a percentage of his wages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.