Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Michigan Identity Theft Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Michigan on

Q: Can Amazon be sued for identity theft? I keep getting rejections from Chase bank for Amazon credit I never applied for.

For the last few years, it's been a nightmare removing the negative inquiries from my credit report. Both Chase and Amazon blame each other. Chase claims they only get their applications electronically, directly from inside Amazon and must process them. Amazon claims there has not been a... Read more »

Adam Alexander answered on Jun 25, 2019

Have you completed an identity theft report and affidavit? If not, I suggest you do so. You can find one on the Federal Trade Commission website. You should also file a police report.

After you've done this, I suggest you send dispute letters to all three credit bureaus and enclosed the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Michigan on

Q: I need a lawyer that deals with identity theft issues. Anyone know of someone in Michigan?

Someone created a paypal account using my SSN. Paypal never alerted me to this. They are rude and are still allowing this person to perform transactions under me even after me telling them it is not me. They never investigated this. Been going on since last Oct. 2018

Has this affected your... Read more »

Adam Alexander answered on Apr 29, 2019

Has this affected your credit? Are you getting collection letter or responsible for any debt?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for Michigan on

Q: What can I sue someone for as the victim of an assault and battery and larceny from a car?

Criminal charges are being persued, the 'suspect' has been arrested and arraigned. He punched me in the face twice, knocking my front tooth out. He was the passenger in my car I was DRIVING, so i parked and demanded he get out. He refused, so i got out. Whwn he hit me he knocked off my glasses, and... Read more »

Daniel Hilf answered on Aug 22, 2018

You were the victim of an intentional tort (assault and battery) and can pursue a civil lawsuit against him. The lawsuit can be filed as a small claims matter (where you represent yourself in court), however your recovery will be limited. You, or a lawyer retained to represent you, can file a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Michigan on

Q: My child is 13, he stole my bank card and bought a semi-auto bb gun off of amazon. What can he be charged with

I want him to see some juvie/jail time not just fines. Because he needs a wake up call not a coffin or future prison record. Any charges for the semi-auto bb handgun

Jasmine D. Rippy answered on Apr 17, 2018

If you report your son to police, he could be charged with illegal use of a financial transaction device, which is a felony. Because he used the card online, he could also be charged with using the internet or a computer to commit a crime, which in this case would be a felony because the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Michigan on

Q: I was in prison and an ex girlfriend used my identity to try to open several accounts and killed my credit score

What do I do other than the fraud report and can I collect any compensation for her doing this to me?

Adam Alexander answered on Feb 17, 2018

You can absolutely collect damages if you are a victim of identity theft. Depending on the severity of your credit damage you are entitled to compensation under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. You would first have to set up the lawsuit properly by retaining an experienced FCRA lawyer. You can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Tax Law, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Michigan on

Q: I moved out. My before my address changed my roommate got my tax info and is withholding it. Is it a crime? whats to do?

I lived with someone for a year, and it was awful. So i did everything i could to leave and was successful. They basically are the type of person to, if was granted power in any way, try and force me to apologize for not helping her out or doing what she wanted. So I did not get my address changed... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Feb 8, 2018

The easiest and less stressful way for you to get your tax documents would be to request them from your employers, etc. again. You can also request them from the IRS but usually they are not available until very close to or after the filing deadline so you would need to file and extension request... Read more »

Q: Hello I had a friend who introduced me to a lawyer who only talks through texts who says he gets you free federal grant

Then he wants me to send copy of ID then my birthday name and address for money to come proof of income then he says I have to send 470 for a clearance fee then they send me 350,000 after I send it is this a scam I never seen him he only communicate through text messages

Adam Alexander answered on Nov 24, 2017

Yes, a scam.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Identity Theft for Michigan on

Q: How to remove my name off my ex husband's credit cards? how to transfer 401K from ex into my account?

I have been divorced since 2015. Prior to the final divorce proceedings, my lawyer and myself called the credit card companies and made sure my name was off these credit cards. The divorce papers mention to be off all credit cards that previously had me as a joint owner or user. Recently, I... Read more »

Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 25, 2017

Are you and your ex on speaking terms? If so, you should confront him with this new listing to see what he says. It could be an old card that he thought your name had been removed from, and the error lies with the credit card company itself. If not, you may want to contact the credit reporting... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.