Pleasanton, CA asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: Will the CA Board of Nursing be able to view my juvenile misdemeanor on a thorough background check?

When I was 15 I was charged with 3rd degree retail fraud in MI. I went to court and paid the $150 fine, and completed a Consent Calendar Program apparently (I don't remember this). In my court document, it states "no fingerprint or arrest cards were submitted with the petition request. As the petition was not authorized, under MCL 28.243(7) any fingerprint or arrest cards retained by the law enforcement agency pertaining to the respondent in this case must be destroyed." I had no issue obtaining my MI RN license without disclosing this info (they used IdentoGo fingerprinting), but I am worried about CA's Live Scan FBI/DOJ check, because I have heard it is VERY thorough. The CA application requires that I report ALL misdemeanor or felony convictions, even if they have been adjudicated, dismissed or expunged or if a diversion program has been completed. Was I technically convicted? Will this show up on the CA background check or can I refrain from disclosing this minor charge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed

juv court matters do not normally come up on background checks

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.