Asked in Family Law and Child Support for South Carolina

Q: After years of paying child support, founding out the child is not the father's.Can a judge order mother to repay?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: No. The time to find out whether you were the biological father was at the initial child support hearing. The court cannot order someone to pay child support unless paternity is established. That can be done by the alleged father admitting to the judge that he is the biological father or it can be done through DNA testing, but the DNA test must be requested at the initial child support hearing. If you were court ordered to pay child support and did not request a DNA test at that hearing, you cannot now challenge the paternity finding and, therefore, cannot seek repayment of child support from the mother.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.