Converse, TX asked in DUI / DWI for North Carolina

Q: can I contact the court

In 2001 I received a DWI while driving through Pasquotank county, NC. I hired a lawyer at the time to represent me because I was overseas still have a copy of the power of attorney, I never heard anything and assumes case was handled. I recently retired and live in Texas and found out the case was never handled and I might have a FTA in NC from 2001. How can I resolve this issue

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Amanda Bowden Houser

  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: if the case was never handled you likely have an outstanding Order for Arrest. Obviously your first step in resolving this is calling your former attorney and finding out whats what. If that fails you are going to have to retain new counsel.

Bill Powers

  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina


Call that lawyer up and get the file re-activated. They're in the best position to know what happened.

It's possible (although a bit unusual) the matter was handled by waiver, but things like Community Service, Fines, Costs of Court, etc., were never paid. If a Waiver of Appearance was allowed, one would assume that would have been for a guilty plea.

Either way, call up that lawyer.

All the best!

Bill Powers

DWI Lawyer Charlotte NC

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.