Albertville, AL asked in Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: My husband has been set a $1,000,000.00 bond for drug trafficking herion and the DEA has never found herion on him.

They caught in back in March with two other ppl. The vehicle was inpounded and the police found drugs in it three days later, non of the three was charged with trafficking. Now they pick him up for UPOCS and took him to county and popped the trafficking charges on him. Can someone help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Joseph Lockwood
Brian Joseph Lockwood
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mobile, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The bond set seems a bit high, but it does fall within the guidelines established by the Supreme Court for a trafficking charge. The court has broad discretion when setting a bond, and will be overturned only for abuse of discretion. However, the court enjoys both discretion to set a bond and to amend (lower) that bond. Your husband will need a local attorney to consult with and determine if a bond review motion would be appropriate in his case.

The preceding answer constitutes informal information only. No attorney-client relationship is established, nor is the communication privileged. Each case is different. The Defendant should consult with a licensed attorney who can become familiar with the particularized facts of his or her case and should not rely on statements of general information such as this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.