Simpsonville, SC asked in Family Law and Child Support for South Carolina

Q: I'm going broke paying child support, is there anything I can do to drop/lower it ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: You question doesn't say, but assuming you are paying court ordered child support,the support amount can always be modified if there has been a substantial change in circumstances following the issuance of the court order that warrants the modification. For example, if you income has decreased you may be entitled to a reduction in your child support amount. There are other factors that can be considered as well, depending on the facts of your case. I suggest that you consult with a lawyer to discuss you case to see if the lawyer thinks filing a court case for a child support reduction is warranted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.