Asked in Workers' Compensation and Car Accidents for Delaware

Q: In a car accident. The person at fault's insurance company wants my medical records sent to them. Should I send?

I was driving a State owned car at the time of the accident. I was hit from behind by driver on cell phone. The officer did not put the cell use in the report he also never asked if I needed medical attention. I drove myself to hospital afterwards. Two days later the person at fault's insurance company calls to offer me $1500 for pain and suffering. I told them that I hadn't even been to physical therapy yet. Two months later they want me to give them permission to get my medical records from all my doctors. What should I do next?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: It is curious that an offer should be made without seeing the medical records.

You could consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to help you make a well-informed decision here. An attorney could advise you about the factors that are considered in determining the value of such cases. They could outline the damages you could possibly be entitled to, based on the detailed facts of the case and your injuries.

Regardless of whether you choose to retain an attorney to represent you in this matter, you should consult with an attorney to learn what deadlines, timelines, and statutes of limitations you must act before to preserve your legal rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.