Columbus, OH asked in Divorce for Indiana

Q: Question regarding the married name change after divorce.

I was married and divorced in Florida and i used my ex last name during the marriage but when we both were separated i didn't know that i need to ask for my maiden name back. Now i couldn't get my maiden name back as it is not mentioned in my divorce decree. Currently am living in Indiana from past 2 years and i asked FL attorney to help me with the name change, they declined as am living in Indiana for more than 2 years and told me that indiana judge able to do it. Few Indiana attorneys are giving me conflict information that i need to change my case jurisdiction from Florida to Indiana before they need to reopen the case and work on it. Can someone give me exact procedure that i need to follow in Indiana to get my maiden name back.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William J Webster
William J Webster
  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Unfortunately, since you did not change your name in the Divorce Decree, you will need to Petition for a Name Change in Indiana. The Indiana Supreme Court has a "self service" section that has some online materials on how to file for a Name Change. I included the link below:

After your review, if you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please contact my office at 317-565-1818.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.