Washington, DC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Maryland

Q: I was awarded sole custody of my son in MD. Prior to our divorce, my ex moved to NY. Can she stop me moving to CA?

She has been in and out of jail/rehab and lives with her boyfriend and his mother. I have 2 other children with my new wife, and we have all beem together as a family for 3 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The concern for the court is -- will this affect the current custody arrangement. If she is supposed to see the kids every other weekend, well that's harder from California. But if it won't affect the current arrangement, unlikely to be able to actually stop it.

However, even if she says you can't go. You can always file with the court for permission to move. If the court feels it is in the best interest of the child and there will still be access (skype/facetime is great for this), then the court will issue an order allowing you to move. Always better to either get the other parent's permission or the court's before moving.

You should speak to an attorney about your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.