Indianapolis, IN asked in Divorce for Indiana

Q: Can you be told to stay in one particular area?

After divorce I am wanting to move across town, 20-30 minutes. We are in a bitter divorce to be decided by the court. Can they make a person stay in a particular town/school district? Have school aged children. It just sounds like ex is bitter and wanting to stay in control.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Alexander Florian Steciuch

  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Yes, the court can make you stay in a particular town or school district if you have custody of the children.

William J Webster

  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: In Indiana, if you want to move you are required to file a Notice of Intent to Relocate w/in 90 days of your anticipated move. If the non-custodial parent objects, then the Court will set the matter for hearing and review issues such as custody and parenting time.

A Court cannot prevent you from moving, but if the Court finds that it's in the best interest of the child to remain in the community or a particular area due to school, family, etc..., then the Court may indicate that if you move the Court will modify custody and/or parenting time.

There are statutory provisions that govern the Notice of Intent to Relocate, therefore if you intend to move I recommend contacting an attorney to make sure you comply with said provisions. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our office at 317-565-1818.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.