Brooklyn, NY asked in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for New York

Q: Can I pursue a case with the Supreme court on a dental organization that refused to complete work on me?

I filed a complaint with the NYS Division of Human Rights in 2016 against a volunteer dentist who worked in conjunction with a Donated dental service & it was determined no probable cause & I am experiencing a lot of pain around the work that was done & undone 2 years I have the right to present this case before the Supreme court?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Briskin
Peter Briskin
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Any malpractice claim needs to be fully investigated before filing in court. The question becomes “was there anything the doctor did or didn't do that departed from the standard of care". If an individual files suit "pro se" there is no requirement to satisfy the certificate of merit statute. If an attorney files a malpractice suit the certificate of merit becomes a requirement.

NY Medical malpractice claims must be filed within 2 ½ years from the date of the alleged negligent action or omission that caused the patient's injury

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.