Montrose, CA asked in Car Accidents, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Arizona

Q: Can someone return your car then leave with it again without your consent and not being it back.

I gave my car to a friend. He won't pick up his phone for 3 days now. He returned my vehicle then hopped in it and told my kids he was going to the studio. I never told him he could. Can I press charges. He won't bring it back

1 Lawyer Answer
Josephine Pesaresi Hallam
Josephine Pesaresi Hallam
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Yes. There are two types of charges in this area.

One is called the means of transportation. And then a lesser felony is called unlawful use of means of transportation.

A theft of means involves someone permanently trying to deprive you of your property (vehicle). And on a lawful use charge means that somebody took the car beyond with your permission allowed.

Call your local police department, they will send an officer out and you can file a police report. The case will then be furthered to the prosecutors office and they will decide whether to prosecute him.

I hope that helps. Best of luck. Josephine Hallam

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.