Houston, TX asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Texas

Q: My father is a fisherman affected by the BP oil spill. He doesn't speak almost any English (he's from Vietnam) but a BP

attorney got him to sign away his settlement rights. Is there a way to fight this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aimee Hess
Aimee Hess
  • Streetman, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It difficult to void a signed document in Texas, but Texas does allow voiding a document in certain cases where the signature was obtained by fraud. In order to determine if fraud is present in your father's case, you and your father will need to consult with an attorney who will review all the facts and circumstances regarding his signing of the settlement document to determine if the situation meets the Texas definition of fraud, and if it does, what procedures might be available to void the settlement agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.