Bethpage, NY asked in Estate Planning for Florida

Q: My mother, executor of dad’s estate- will dated 1990. Is fighting hospital charge told can’t because will could change

She had contacted a Florida lawyer years ago to see if the will written in NY was vAlid in FL and was told it was. Does not have any money to bring it to probate. Is the insurance company right that they can’t accept the will. What else would she be able to do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Isaksen
Jennifer Isaksen
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Bushnell, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It sounds like your father recently passed away in FL and your mother may be fighting paying the hospital bills. If that is the case, I am sorry for your loss. If I understand your question, you are asking whether the insurance company, who advised you that the NY Will is not valid in FL or a prior attorney, who has advised that the NY Will is valid, is correct. If the NY Will is valid, it should be valid in FL. I'm not sure what type of insurance company you are referring to either. If you are trying to collect life insurance and they are telling you that they cannot accept the Will, that is correct. Life insurance is a contract and if there is no designated beneficiary, the life insurance has to be distributed through the probate process. The Will would have to be probated in FL and once it is finalized, the court will instruct the insurance company to release the proceeds. Hope that helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.