Cape May, NJ asked in Social Security for Pennsylvania

Q: Hurt on the job, went to see a lawyer about SSDI and he refused to take my case !

I got hurt on the job and had my arm crushed and lost my right thumb. I worked for 24 years with one company and then they closed so I found another job, worked there for 2 years and they closed. Then my husband got sick so I didn't work for about five years. After he passed away I found another job that I worked at for only four months before I got hurt and had my arm crushed and thumb amputated. Went to file for SSDI and they told me that I couldn't collect because I was out of work the five years taking care of my husband. So I worked for 26yrs. and the lawyer is telling me I can't collect SSDI. All that time that I paid into it, and their saying I can't collect ! Does that sound right or is this lawyer I was sent to giving me the run around ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark A. Buterbaugh
Mark A. Buterbaugh
  • Chambersburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: More than likely you do not have current insured status. To be eligible for SSDI, you have to have enough work credits. Kind of like Unemployment. Check with your local SSA office and inquire with them what your 'date of last insured' is. For example, if your date of last insured is 3/31/2018, then the to be eligible for SSDI, you will have to be found disabled prior to 3/31/2018.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.