Goose Creek, SC asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: I am trying to see what forms I need to file I have sole physical custody and my ex has visitations for summers

I sent my kids up there for the summer and she kept one of my kids with out me saying that it was okay I didnt approve that he could stay now I'm trying to fight to get her to give him back the court stated I neneeneneed to fill a paper but not sure what to do or how to go about it . I know its considered kidnapping.. is that correct?I live in southCarolina and the mother lives in Alaska where she kept my son and I'm the one that has court ordered custody of the kids . She just gets summer visitation

1 Lawyer Answer

Cheryl Ann Truesdale

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Your question doesn't say if you have a court ordered custody. If you have a court order granting you custody and setting out the mother's visitation rights, you can file a Rule to Show Cause. That form can be obtained from the clerk of court's office in the family court. The Rule to Show Cause action would be to ask the court to hold the mother in contempt of court for not returning the child and to take steps to return the child to you. If you don't have court ordered custody, you need to consult with a lawyer in your area for advice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.